|How to Apply
Please download the Graduate School Application and check the MFA box. If you are applying for financial aid that may include a teaching assistantship, you will need to include GRE scores in your application. If you are not applying for such aid, GRE scores, though encourages, are not a necessary part of your application. Please include the following Application Checklist with your application:
• Graduate College Application, MFA checked
• GRE test scores if applying for a TA; otherwise mark NA (not applicable)
• Application fee, $50 made out to Rutgers University
• Portfolio (3 copies) consisting of:
Fiction-novel excerpt or 3 short stories, 30-50 pg.
• Official Transcript
• Personal Statement (3 copies)
• 3 Letters of Recommendation
Send all of the above to:
Rutgers-Newark (MFA in Creative Writing)
249 University Avenue
Blumenthal Hall, Rm 100
Newark, NJ 07102
If you want your application manuscript returned, please enclose an SASE.
If you are applying for financial aid and/or a teaching position, please state this clearly on your application. Those who apply for teaching positions must submit GRE scores.
The Rutgers-Newark MFA Program currently offers the following financial
aid, awarded on a competitive basis.
(4) R-N MFA Half-tuition Scholarships: $3371 per semester for full-time
(3) R-N Teaching Fellowships: $3600 (one course) per semester
(both semesters, $7200)
The strength and range of the application manuscript, as well as
information provided by resumes, personal statements, letters of
recommendation and other admissions materials. will be carefully
reviewed. Teaching experience is highly regarded in those applicants
applying for Teaching Fellowships.
Credit Card Payment Form